In 2013, Community Managers are trending, both online, and their impact to their organizations and the customers, who they serve.
Community Managers are the most powerful group online
As professional online communicators, Community Managers are the most powerful group for 5 reasons: 1) Professionally trained 2) Access to top tools 3) Manage the largest social media accounts in world 4) Highly connected to each other, and 5) Their interactions with market are public, which resonate. I’m pleased to report that yesterday, on Jan 28th the Community Manager Appreciation tag (#CMAD) became a Twitter trending topic in at least Finland, France, and United States for over five hours.
Recognition of the Community Manager Role, Globally Known
Each year, Community Manager appreciation day grows in size and in location, this year I was stunned by the community involvement and market reaction. I heard comments that while in emerging markets there’s still justification required for the role, but within US, there’s already wide understanding and approval of this role within today’s modern company, both big and small. Last night, at the SF meetup whether or not CMs were the final decision maker for social tools and software, and depending on size of company, it could vary, however they often short-list the social business toolset for management and teams to analyze. While they often need to work with the Corporate Social Strategist, they’re internal influencers on how programs role out.
2014 CMAD Will Host A Theme to Advance the Career
Next year, in 2014, Community Manager Appreciation Day will be on Monday, Jan 27th. (It’s on the fourth monday, every Jan). We will discuss this year what the theme will be –beyond appreciation. While some markets still need awareness and justification of the role, developed markets are seeking to push the agenda and be forward moving. We’ll find a theme, announce it in Dec, and ask the industry to collectively move forward. It goes without saying, that appreciation doesn’t stop, but now that we’ve collectively raised awareness, let’s advance as one.
Here’s a wrap up of all the events that happened around the globe, and analysis on the online impact, from a number of social analytics tools. Please leave a note or URL in the comments, and I’ll update it.
Social Analytics Reports from Industry
A number of social analytics firms are running reports, I’ll cross link to all analysis and capture highlights here, it’s interesting to see the common data points and look at averages points and trends. It’s interesting that the various tools have roughly the same data frequency count.
|Provider||Key Stats||Data Highlights|
|Little Bird||Provides a list of the top 1000 Community Managers||Social graph heat maps finds influencers, see my take, see the Twitter list|
|Social@Ogilvy (tweet)||Mid Day Capture Yields: 17.1 million impressions from 5,121 tweets… 3,096 mentions, 1,644 retweets, 381 @reply – #cmad||Mid-day capture, not a full 24 hour run, but roughly matches other data sets|
|Topsy (report)||10,004 Mentions, thanks Rich Schwerin for the URL.||Can’t leave date range, so this report may phase out over time.|
|Keyhole (report also in Spanish)||17,548 tweets by 13,479 users||Interesting tool. Showed hotspots in CA and NY, with Mashable as a major influencer|
|NexaLive (report)||16,628 Total Tweets. 8083 Total tweeters||Shows keyword map, and analysis. Most active include jpedde, evanhamilton|
|Sysmos (Tweet)||Shares that the hashtag was used 17.5K times||Indicates most activity in United States|
|NodeXL (Social Graph Analysis)||This focused data set analyzes the interactions with the core graph during a period of time, shows Mashable at core.||Several leaderboards on top URLs, and top tweeters, keywords used|
|Salesforce Marketing Cloud (slides, also embedded below)||24,000 conversations, most on Twitter, in English followed by Spanish||Interesting how dominate Twitter is over FB and Blogs.|
|UberVu (dashboard report)||19k Tweets, 281 plusses on Google+, 256 posts on FB||Interesting how the sentiment was overall good, at 43%|
|Leave comment||I’ll cross link|
- There were multiple physical locations spanning SF, Boston, Atlanta, Austin, Tokyo, France, Finland, and beyond, it’s difficult to track them all.
- Online events included a 12 hour Google Hangout, I watched a few hours, learned from global CMs, see videos
- Percolate hosted an all day event in NY for CMs
- At SF’s packed event, I spotted Bill Johnston’s with this clever shirt (pic)
- Of course, some CMs get their desks decorated, or cupcakes, flowers.
- Events in DC, at LivingSocial locale (pic)
- The Online Project in Jordan had an event, complete with banners, food
Media, Press, Blogs
- Vision Piece: Future of the Community Manager (Mashable)
- Social Media Today: 10 Cheers to CMs
- Mashable 10 Qualities of an Effective Community Manager
- Social Media Today: Infographic of Community Manager Roles
- Voices and Slideshare: A collection of CM advice
- Business 2 Community: 10 Reasons to Celebrate Community Managers
- BostiInno covers Community Manager Day
- eConsultancy does a Q&A on CM day
- Shorty Awards shouts out to CMs
- Social Business News, Michael Brito
- iMedia shares four ways to evaluate your community strategy
- My post, with 10 key stats on the CM space
- PR Daily recognizes the day
- Chartered Institute of Public Relations (CIPR) wraps up the event
- Dutch: CMAD on the Marketing Facts
- Dutch: Krem posts on Community Manager day
- French: Blog dumoderateur shares the genesis of this event.
- French: the world of Community Managers in action.
- French: a salute to CMs
- Jordan has a physical banner for CMAD (pic)
- German Community Manager day from ethority
- Wrapup in French, with screenshots, pics
- The #CMAD Tag trended in at least France, Finland, USA
Voices of Community Managers, and Shout Outs!
- Stephanie Fusco Three Myths about Community Managers
- Michael Norton gives a shout out to CMs who’ve helped him and others
- 10 ways to thank CMs from Sarah
- Aetna’s Community Manager
@vargasl says Hats off to those NOT a community manager
- Humor: Some popular animated gifs in the spirit of CMAD
- Interesting post on “what makes a community manager” the job duties are amorphous
Technology Vendors and Innovators (alpha sorted)
- Cisco Systems: celebrates their own community managers and those worldwide
- Eloqua: provides a handy guide to Community Management
- emoderation does a wrap up of the event
- Get Satisfaction: The many hats of the Community Manager infographic
- Get Satisfaction: Launches cartoons in celebration of CMs
- Insites: has a number of photos, including a balloon event for CMs
- Jive salutes CMs and offers an iPad
- Oracle: hosted the Community Manager Awards
- SAP Mentors share the magic which makes their community
- Socialfresh: shares an infographic with Community Manager stats, including salary
- Shoutlet provides clever badges for CMs
- Socious provides methods to celebrate community managers
- Sysomos comes bearing gifts
- Spiceworks: a leading IT community, shares what happens behind the scenes
- Telligent: provides best practices for CMs based on interviews
- UberVu offers social analytics, as well as shouted out to Boston CMs
- Yammer has a practical guide for communities, and has interviewed top CMs
- Adotas shares three shifts that the CM space should make
- Weber Shandwick offers advice on keeping CMs efficient
- Social@Ogilvy covers and reviews the event
- Fetch did a quick interview with me on state of CMs
Collection of 2013 Community Manager Day Artifacts
Above: Yammer Community Playbook
Above: Get Satisfaction provides insights for CMs
Collection of CM Advice via MarketWire
Please leave a comment below of any coverage I missed, I’ll add.