I had a chance to connect with Jennifer Jones, the hostess and MC of Marketing Voices Podcast yesterday. She’s one of my former colleagues and will be a long time friend. I learned that her podcast, which helps marketing leaders understand social media is continuing to take off. Although I made a list of the many marketing podcasts, as I understand it, the listernership is up to 100,000 downloads in the last month, that blows away almost any other podcast that I know of. Apparently some big name brands have noticed too, she’s now sponsored by Webex AND Intel, both companies want to reach marketers and the social sphere, respectively. Her show is also syndicated by MarketingProfs, one of the top communities on the web, and of course on PodTech.
Here’s why Marketing Voices is getting traction:
1) She gets top name guests: many authors, speakers, thought leaders, and most importantly, practitioners that have done it in the workplace.
2) Expectations: She’s consistent with her weekly release, format, questions, and length, she screens the guests, preps them with questions. Her background in TV broadcasting and as a PR executive helps her all around the show.
3) Brevity: The shows (mainly audio and sometimes video) are short and concise, she’s respecting media snackers. Most are 10-15 minutes, each very ‘tight’ in content.
4) Her passion: She’s truly very, very fascinated by the social media world, as a “digital immigrant” she wants to explore how these tools change the world, we’ve had many, many conversations.
5) Shelf Life: It’s not a show on ‘what’s hip’ but really on strategy and many leaders share case studies and examples, you can go back into the archives to listen and learn.
To be fair, I can’t just throw roses, but gave her a few suggestions to improve the show, all minor: 1) set the audio levels so the speaker and host are always at the same level 2) Just once, the show was duplicated twice on iTunes, but a very minor nitpick. If you’re a listener, I’m sure she’d be curious to hear your feedback.
So if you’re a marketing executive, (or work for one) and you need to know how social media impacts your world, I recommend you subscribe to MarketingVoices on iTunes (will prompt iTunes), or check out the website, while you’re reclaiming time in the car or on a jog, stay learning with high quality content.