Great summary of all the key learnings from the Future of Web Apps conference in SF, I think this is well categorized and hits many of the major points. Read and print out 10 Things That Will Make Or Break Your Website. I’d like to extend this list just slightly
- EASY is the most important feature of any website, web app, or program
- Visual design and copy are extremely important.
- Open up your data as much possible.
- Test, test, test.
- Release features early and often.
- Be special
- Don’t be special.
- If you plan on developing a successful webapp, plan for scalability
- Watch, pay attention to, or implement right away:
- User generated content and social software trends
I’d like to add the following:
11) Revenue. I sound evil, but it’s true, and something every investor, partner, and your father in law will ask about. As I understand it there are six potential revenue models: Advertising, Premium, Transaction, Consultation, Partnering and Acquisition. While I agree the best sites come from passion (I make no direct dollars from this passion web strategy blog) putting food on the table for your family is important.